What if you could reframe anything including 2020 as a year that had its positives? Meet Timothy Phelps. During this very vulnerable conversation, he shares how he overcame early childhood traumas and how by changing his mindset he overcame being homeless. This conversation covers a lot including how he was able to forgive those who hurt him, the way he was able to balance his reality with his massive ambitions when he was homeless, and how he sees 2020. Here is a bit more about Timothy whom I met by way of Jessie Itzler’s Build Your Life Resume community. We were both seeking to rekindle our sense of adventure and his courage stuck out during a training call with Jens Pulver a retired MMA champion who also experienced trauma.
Timothy endured child abuse and neglect, quickly developing self-doubts, fears, and depression at a young age. School was his safe haven, although it was not truly safe, as he endured bullying. Phelps hated life, and after being told multiple times he was a mistake, should’ve never been born, and should just kill himself, he attempted suicide on multiple occasions. After battling drug and alcohol addictions, he almost succeeded, but then God! Phelps had a long journey to overcome the odds and ensure he was not a statistic.
The journey was rough, even finding himself homeless, but his desire was greater than his situation. Phelps gained a strong desire to learn and grow, finding success in real estate before being called to tell his story and help others who’ve been through similar situations. His first book, “The Invisible Child: Overcoming the Odds” was published early 2020. Phelps was told it’s lonely at the top, but he believes it’s only lonely if you’re not willing to take others with you. He desires to utilize his talents, skills, and experiences to help others climb their own mountain. Phelps believes we all have hurdles in which we must overcome. He believes we all need someone in our corner and knows with God and massive ambition, anyone can overcome the odds! Due to these beliefs, Phelps helps others in overcoming one of the biggest obstacles they’ll face, their own mindset, ultimately assisting in their own personal transformation, for the lifestyle they deserve.
Share this episode with three of your friends who you consider to be strong and resilient. Chances are their strength was necessary to get through life challenges.
- Story: On writing a memoir that includes your traumatic childhood.
- Forgiveness: Timothy sat with his parents prior to publishing his memoir asking for their blessing.
- Poem: A reading of The Invisible Child poem.
- Excuses: Using your “bad deck of cards” as an excuse vs. a superpower.
- Suicide: Did God really talk to Timothy?
- Homeless: The turning point when Timothy was in the tunnel where he slept.
- Cognitive Dissonance: How can you balance being homeless yet having “massive ambitions”?
- Faith: What is true faith?
- Mantras: Never back down, never give up.
- Self-Belief: How can anyone see themselves differently after being “brainwashed”?
- Mindset: Change your mindset, change your life. What is the magic mirror?
- Goals: How to retrain yourself to see success?
- First Step: Seek a community to join if you’ve suffered trauma that’s step one.
- Compassion: You don’t know what others are going through at all.
Links to quench your curiosity:
- Website: www.coachphelpscanhelp.com
- Follow Timothy on Instagram
- Find Timothy on Facebook
- Adult Survivors of Child Abuse
Did you enjoy the conversation?
Ever wish you could be a fly on the wall? Now you can by following me on Instagram! There I jump on an IGTV Live every Wednesday! You’ll catch me reporting LIVE on-location (so far in a gas station on a highway, a modern art museum, and my local fruit smoothie shop) always depending on my guest’s career thrills! During those LIVES, I share behind-the-scenes podcast stories, offer you a glimpse into my guest’s expertise, and always release more specifics around HOW you too can pursue your own billion-dollar career! Who knows where my next episode will take me? Come along! I want YOU to join me on my next adventure.
Learn more about my free 5-Day Personal Brand Exploration Video Series. This is a free, quick, and simple video series geared to help you quickly determine whether you could do more when it comes to developing, amplifying, or changing your personal brand on LinkedIn, Resume, Cover Letter, Thank You Note, Elevator Pitch. You’ll watch my videos, take notes, take immediate action, and determine for yourself if you are already a Lamborghini or Gucci of a job candidate or if your brand can use a refresh. Take this time upfront to uncover if your brand is broken or not enough to save time during your next job search. My clients landed roles in 6-weeks during this pandemic and the insights in this program are why.