Let Your Emotions Fuel You to Doing Something Incredible in Your Life, Episode 94
Think about the last time that you balled your eyes out in front of someone other than a therapist. How emotional can you be in front of your family? On the flip side, what range of emotions can you handle being on the receiving end of?
In this episode, I’m going to share with you an excerpt from the book I’m writing about having the courage to imagine a better life for yourself while you are looking at your next life chapter or you’re trying to pursue your life’s purpose or fulfill your mission. Whatever is next for you has to be imagined in order for you to bring it into your reality. And central to that is being able to feel the fullest range of your emotions.
And so, I’m going to talk very specifically about just how emotional you can be right now. I’m also going to share with you how I’ve witnessed a lot of sanitizing of emotions in the workplace, as well as the numbing of emotions at home. We’re also going to go through how you can access your emotions today. Now, there are some maladaptive ways that you might already be trying to access those emotions in order to feel different things. But there is also a very, very positive approach. We’re also going to close out this episode with instructions for an exercise that I want you to do. It’s all about what might be stored away in your own storage unit filled with emotions as well as with dreams, hopes, and ambitions.
Finally, be sure to sign up for a complimentary one-hour Zoom session, focused on your next chapter. Whether you’re pursuing your life’s mission, going after your life’s purpose, ticking off things on your bucket list, I want to be sure that you’re able to imagine what your next stage can look like.
Your emotions are not like your body’s appendix, you actually need them – they serve a purpose. And what I’m going to share with you right now is exactly what I have been noticing pertaining to just how much we have been sanitizing or numbing our emotions. In particular, I’m going to reveal just how much Purell we have been using all this time.
Sure, you’re going to want to guard your emotions. And here’s why: Anyone who does anything that is remotely courageous has had to wear their heart on their sleeves. And so, it’s a tricky yet worthwhile process. Because it is only in feeling your emotions, good or bad, that you will have the motivation, prioritize the time, and truly commit to executing your dreams. Your emotions are what will give you the fuel you need to actually do what it takes to make anything incredible – and that requires a lot of effort and making this a priority in your life.
Share this episode with someone whom you think has been so heavily guarded with their emotions so they can learn how they too can access their emotions in a positive way!
- Out of Tune: If you have not yet or not recently been deeply moved towards something or away from something, then that is a sign that you are just tuned out of your own emotions, and it brings its consequences.
- Diluting emotions: When you’re asked to sanitize or numb your emotions, you might hesitate when it comes to following your curiosities and hide behind what truly piques your interest. You might no longer want to take any chances.
- Trust: Trust that you’re able to handle whatever is emotionally involved, pertaining to your greatest life’s ambitions. And some of that requires a little bit of faith.
- Effortless: Whether positive emotions or negative emotions, you need to feel them so that doing things doesn’t feel like they require so much effort.
- Sandwich strategy: You’re sterilizing your emotions just by writing a sandwich strategy email. Diluting your emotions in the office at a slow cooker pace with these mini adjustments and compromises changes the way that you show up in the world.
- Action Take action and seek more life experiences that give you access to the positive emotions that maybe you just have not allowed yourself to feel.
- Resuscitate: Many people keep their emotions inside. The results of which prove to be a lot of internal rotting. Resuscitate your senses and a fuller range of emotion.
- Signs: Our emotions either warn us or encourage us to move in certain directions. And if we don’t respect how we feel enough to let ourselves feel something, then it’s going to be impossible to be brave.
- Addiction: Not allowing yourself to feel your emotions can cause you to do things that are hurtful and expensive to keep you from feeling anything.
- Experience: There are productive ways to resuscitate your emotions such as having soulful conversations with someone.
- Curiosity: Aspire to be curious once again. Ask yourself questions, the type of questions that children would ask adults. This is going to unlock the more incredible parts of yourself. You will also begin to question your choices and what you perceive to be the truth. Then you will begin to start to explore new alternatives.
- Child-like: Having a child-like sense of curiosity will help you figure out what is in alignment with your life’s ultimate purpose versus what is no longer working for you. It takes an extraordinary sense of curiosity to really understand what it’s going to take for you to feel like doing anything more than what you see on your Google Calendar.
- Creativity: Be creative about your own life experience. Bring your own arsenal to the table when it comes to your own sanity and desire to do something different for yourself.
- Courage: It’s so much easier to be courageous when you have your emotional fuel inside and you’re no longer diluting them.
- Possibility: Even the least emotional grownups can still learn how to access their emotions.
- The Storage Unit Exercise: What emotions, dreams, and ambitions are in your storage unit? Consider taking them out of the unit and putting them on your kitchen counter. Once you start to feel emotions, you start to get the fuel you need to do something about your life.
Links to continue to learn from:
Interview with Jonathan Arons: https://www.melissallarena.com/jonathan-arons-2/
About Melissa Llarena
Melissa brings a makerspace mindset that is laser-focused on creatively making space for courage for those with a big message to share with the world. A makerspace is a collaborative workspace with very different tools meant for making things fueled by active imaginations. In a makerspace, the goal is to inspire new creations. In Melissa’s program called Courage Makerspace ™ we are making space for courage in your daily life so that you can become an incredible thought leader who has the courage to connect, communicate, and create something incredible that will have an impact on the world.
What makes Courage Makerspace™ different is that it uniquely brings an interdisciplinary and creative approach to high-performance coaching. This online program is based on psychological principles, the art of storytelling, and incorporates proprietary experiential tools that harness the power of our imagination. Melissa has infused proven strategies and insights that have empowered clients around the world. Her background includes a psychology degree from NYU, an MBA from the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, and she holds a Transformational Coaching Academy certificate based on Tony Robbins principles and Landmark Education insights. She is a native New Yorker who has lived/worked in Paris as well as London, and courageously relocated to Sydney, Australia with her family.
Want to be a COURAGEOUS thought leader who is fulfilling their life purpose?
If you intend to become a thought leader and have the courage to accomplish your life purpose faster than you’ve imagined possible, book an appointment with me in the next 24 hours. We’re going to assess where you are on this confidence journey, then we’re going to put our heads together and come up with a step-by-step game plan to define how you can rebuild your courage when you need it. Book this free session by going to http://www.melissallarena.com/sessions.
Want to continue the conversation?
Find me on Instagram! You can read my daily mini-blogs centered on the same three topics that my podcast features: creativity, courage, and curiosity. I believe that without all three it would be impossible to solve the challenges we were each uniquely made to solve. Wouldn’t you agree? I’m easy to find on Instagram @melissallarena
Rather keep it professional?
Let’s connect on LinkedIn. I encourage every single podcast listener to connect with me.