In an era of movements there was no better person to bring in this new year than Asha Curran. Asha Curran is the CEO of GivingTuesday, and co-founder of the global generosity movement. In this fascinating discussion, you will uncover how the spirit of generosity continues to be thriving around the world. In 2020, in a single day of giving, $2.47B were donated. In a world where the news media may lead you to believe that we are only surviving, there are several organizations and individuals who have retained and reimagined their spirit of generosity. Asha walks us through some of those local creative ideas, she shares her personal story, and how her team still relishes in the heartwarming stories they witness all year-long, as well as what it’s like to lead a movement. You’ll feel inspired to dream big after hearing this chat and you’ll see just how much good there is in the world.
More on Asha. She was formerly Chief Innovation Officer and director of the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact at 92nd Street Y, where GivingTuesday was founded. Asha serves as Chair of the board of directors of Guardian.org, a nonprofit dedicated to advancing civil discourse and issues-driven journalism at The Guardian and elsewhere; and on the board of directors of the Scout Film Festival, which amplifies the work of teen filmmakers. She is a Fellow at Stanford University’s Digital Civil Society Lab within the Center for Philanthropy and Civil Society. She was named to the Nonprofit Times’ Top Fifty Power and Influence list in 2019. Share this episode with three people who you admire for their generosity big or small! Let’s celebrate giving every single day in every single country.
- Story: GivingTuesday, why it’s one word?
- 2020 Results: This year was very focused on connections between human-beings raising $2.47B USD in 24 hours donated world-wide
- Feelings: GivingTuesday helped us feel optimistic in 2020 especially
- Celebrations: The GivingTuesday team celebrates and feels every single win
- Rituals: Around the world, generosity is embedded. What about in the U.S.?
- Value: GivingTuesday can be globally celebrated because it is based on a value.
- Generosity: Collective generosity is incredibly powerful
- Pandemic: Tragedy vs. opportunity: Asha has hope and faith in humanity despite newsfeeds
- Creativity: Ideas from 75 countries are hyperlocal yet universal too. Ex. In Brazil kids led the charge on GivingTuesday! Some countries double-downed on GivingTuesday despite local challenges such as Venezuela.
- Wants vs. Needs: Giving can go beyond food and shelter to include beauty and love.
- Animals: Pets are pure love and generosity. Fun fact: Many adoptions happen on GivingTuesday
- Movement Leadership: How to decide whether to create, participate, lead a movement like GivingTuesday?
- Background: Humble beginnings and attending an all women’s college played a role in Asha’s ambitions
- Fierce: Fierceness as an antidote to fear
- 2020: On being tired of letting others control the narrative
- Final Thoughts: Let your narrative happen to you rather than trying to lay it all out in the beginning. And, on uplifting others.
Links to quench your curiosity:
Did you enjoy the conversation?
Ever wish you could be a fly on the wall? Now you can by following me on Instagram! There I jump on an IGTV Live every Wednesday! You’ll catch me reporting LIVE on-location (so far in a gas station on a highway, a modern art museum, and my local fruit smoothie shop) always depending on my guest’s career thrills! During those LIVES, I share behind-the-scenes podcast stories, offer you a glimpse into my guest’s expertise, and always release more specifics around HOW you too can pursue your own billion-dollar career! Who knows where my next episode will take me? Come along! I want YOU to join me on my next adventure.
Learn more about the free 5-Day Personal Brand Exploration Video Series. This is a free, quick, and simple video series geared to help you quickly determine whether you could do more when it comes to developing, amplifying, or changing your personal brand on LinkedIn, Resume, Cover Letter, Thank You Note, Elevator Pitch. You’ll watch my videos, take notes, take immediate action, and determine for yourself if you are already a Lamborghini or Gucci of a job candidate or if your brand can use a refresh. Take this time upfront to uncover if your brand is broken or not enough to save time during your next job search. My clients landed roles in 6-weeks during this pandemic and the insights in this program are why.